Latest News from the Northern Film School
International event to celebrate Hergé’s Adventures of Tintin
An international event will be held at Leeds Beckett University to celebrate one of the most recognisable comic characters of the 20th century – Tintin.
Royal Television Award nominations for Northern Film School students
The Royal Television Society has once again recognised the Northern Film School for its excellence in film education, nominating three student films for awards.
How has British horror changed? New book to explore the modern-day monster
From The Seasoning House on the shores of Eden Lake to Severance, Outpost and beyond, a new book by a Leeds Beckett academic will look at how British horror films have changed since the millennium.
The Northern Film School is one of the best known film and television schools in the UK, making innovative and award winning films for over 25 years. Storytelling, technical expertise and creativity, all taught by professionals, make our graduates the filmmakers of the future.
The School prides itself on:
- Practical filmmaking, with real production budgets
- Teaching staff with international film and TV credits.
- Industry partnerships, placements and collaborations.
- Specialised teaching in Producing, Directing, Screenwriting, Production Design, Cinematography, Sound, Editing and Animation.
- State of the art camera and lighting, sound, editing and post equipment.
- Industry standard studios, post-production suites, and production offices.
- Courses informed by film theory and criticism.
With its roots originating in the late 1970s in the Leeds Polytechnic Film Unit, the Northern School of Film and Television came into being in January 1990. Eventually simplifying its name to the Northern Film School and residing within the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University, the Northern Film School offers filmmaking awards at BA (Hons), MA and PhD levels, attracting students from around the world.