Latest News from the Northern Film School
Memories of the 1984-5 miners’ strike brought to life at Leeds International Film Festival
A series of short films made by South Yorkshire residents who experienced the miners’ strike of 1984 - 1985, in collaboration with the Northern Film School at Leeds Beckett University, will be premiered at the Leeds International Film Festival this month.
From a leap of faith to lift off - Arts, Environment and Technology students end year on a high
Our Faculty of Arts, Environment and Technology (AET) students have ended their year on a high by showcasing their talent at several degree shows.
Film student to make ‘Life After War’ documentary
A student from The Northern Film School is hoping to raise enough money to make a documentary about the struggles that army veterans face post-war and where they can find help – a subject close to his own heart.
The Northern Film School is one of the best known film and television schools in the UK, making innovative and award winning films for over 25 years. Storytelling, technical expertise and creativity, all taught by professionals, make our graduates the filmmakers of the future.
The School prides itself on:
- Practical filmmaking, with real production budgets
- Teaching staff with international film and TV credits.
- Industry partnerships, placements and collaborations.
- Specialised teaching in Producing, Directing, Screenwriting, Production Design, Cinematography, Sound, Editing and Animation.
- State of the art camera and lighting, sound, editing and post equipment.
- Industry standard studios, post-production suites, and production offices.
- Courses informed by film theory and criticism.
With its roots originating in the late 1970s in the Leeds Polytechnic Film Unit, the Northern School of Film and Television came into being in January 1990. Eventually simplifying its name to the Northern Film School and residing within the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University, the Northern Film School offers filmmaking awards at BA (Hons), MA and PhD levels, attracting students from around the world.