Latest News from the Northern Film School
Northern Film School short wins awards
A film produced by the Northern Film School has been awarded several industry awards and has been selected to show at the FICCAT Film festival in Catalan.
Northern Film School Lecturer is Cinematographer on Oscar-nominated film
Phil Robertson, Cinematographer and MA Film Production graduate from Leeds Beckett University, is the cinematographer on an Oscar®-nominated film – SHOK – a film by Jamie Donoughue. Phil has recently taken up a post as Senior Lecturer at the Northern Film School (NFS).
The force is strong for Leeds Beckett graduate
A graduate of the Northern Film School at our University is celebrating her first film credit for the 2015 blockbuster, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
The Northern Film School is one of the best known film and television schools in the UK, making innovative and award winning films for over 25 years. Storytelling, technical expertise and creativity, all taught by professionals, make our graduates the filmmakers of the future.
The School prides itself on:
- Practical filmmaking, with real production budgets
- Teaching staff with international film and TV credits.
- Industry partnerships, placements and collaborations.
- Specialised teaching in Producing, Directing, Screenwriting, Production Design, Cinematography, Sound, Editing and Animation.
- State of the art camera and lighting, sound, editing and post equipment.
- Industry standard studios, post-production suites, and production offices.
- Courses informed by film theory and criticism.
With its roots originating in the late 1970s in the Leeds Polytechnic Film Unit, the Northern School of Film and Television came into being in January 1990. Eventually simplifying its name to the Northern Film School and residing within the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University, the Northern Film School offers filmmaking awards at BA (Hons), MA and PhD levels, attracting students from around the world.