Latest News from the Northern Film School
Leeds Film Festival to celebrate ageing
A film festival which will celebrate ageing is set to take place in Leeds on Friday 17 and Saturday 18 July.
Leeds Beckett University first to gain prestigious accreditation
The Northern Film School at Leeds Beckett University has become the first ever film school to be awarded accreditation from JAMES, the industry body which acknowledges suitability of courses to meet industry needs on behalf of organisations including the UK Screen Association.
Leeds premier for Beckett collaboration film
A film, featuring input from staff, students and alumni of our University, and telling the controversial story of Leeds-based founder of cinematography, Louis Le Prince, is set to be premiered at the Hyde Park Picture House on Wednesday 1 July.
The Northern Film School is one of the best known film and television schools in the UK, making innovative and award winning films for over 25 years. Storytelling, technical expertise and creativity, all taught by professionals, make our graduates the filmmakers of the future.
The School prides itself on:
- Practical filmmaking, with real production budgets
- Teaching staff with international film and TV credits.
- Industry partnerships, placements and collaborations.
- Specialised teaching in Producing, Directing, Screenwriting, Production Design, Cinematography, Sound, Editing and Animation.
- State of the art camera and lighting, sound, editing and post equipment.
- Industry standard studios, post-production suites, and production offices.
- Courses informed by film theory and criticism.
With its roots originating in the late 1970s in the Leeds Polytechnic Film Unit, the Northern School of Film and Television came into being in January 1990. Eventually simplifying its name to the Northern Film School and residing within the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University, the Northern Film School offers filmmaking awards at BA (Hons), MA and PhD levels, attracting students from around the world.